Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for meridian circle
- ‘They perfected not only the old transit instruments, but devised many new ones for various purposes.’
- ‘He is particularly famous in this area for his brilliant ideas on improving the design of a transit instrument.’
- ‘In astronomy he installed the first transit instrument in the Paris Observatory.’
- ‘At the Greenwich Royal Observatory Halley used the first transit instrument and devised a method for determining longitude at sea by means of lunar observations.’
- ‘His greatest achievement was the 8-inch transit circle that he designed in the years 1840-1848.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.