One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A camp for the temporary accommodation of people, e.g. refugees or soldiers, who are travelling through a country or region.
- ‘No wonder that a college is seen as a transit camp to the work place instead of an incubator for the transformation of the individual.’
- ‘They proposed to the court that the area be used as a transit camp until alternative accommodation could be found.’
- ‘The refugees were settled in transit camps in the border districts of northern Zambia awaiting transportation to the main refugee camps.’
- ‘Already in July 1942, French police in the region took part in the arrest of hundreds of Jews, who were sent to the Drancy transit camp near Paris.’
- ‘He settled in Vienna in 1944, though the following year he was forced to flee to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, where he was detained in a transit camp opposite Strauss's villa.’
- ‘Under its new name, Atlantic Park, it became a transit camp for refugees, mainly Russian, who were anxious to sail to America.’
- ‘This is a transit camp, where people are temporarily accommodated before more permanent arrangements are made for them.’
- ‘They were then taken on to a transit camp at Sutton-on-Derwent.’
- ‘During high-tides, the creek water seeps through the single layer brick walls of the houses in the transit camp, making life miserable.’
- ‘By the end of 1942, she was traveling back and forth from Amsterdam to the transit camp at Westerbork.’
- ‘Originally established as a transit camp, the settlement has taken on a more formal, and permanent, structure.’
- ‘This camp will be used as a transit camp for the north-west area.’
- ‘In 1948 he came to England, to a transit camp at an airbase at Steeple Ashton.’
- ‘Yes, but you must understand that Auschwitz was two things, a camp for extermination, and a transit camp from which people were sent to labour camps elsewhere.’
- ‘Such was the tone of his speech, that the Jews waiting on the platform occasionally applauded him as they believed his story that they were only at a transit camp.’
- ‘It was built as a transit camp to house Japanese nationals from the greater Los Angeles area.’
- ‘Now the same people came back to force them out of the church to the transit camp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.