Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pass strong light through (an organ or part of the body) in order to detect disease or abnormality.
- ‘Our first experiments used point stimulation to compare the epi-illuminated and transilluminated voltage-dependent signal.’
- ‘We present here the first systematic demonstration that transilluminated fluorescence may be used to detect electrical activity within cardiac muscle.’
- ‘The technology is based on creating a virtual light source deep within tissue that transilluminates vessels.’
- ‘The subsurface peak does have the effect of moving the apparent source of the transilluminated signal deeper into the tissue.’
- ‘The light then transilluminates the vessels from underneath.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.