Relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced.‘male transgenic mice’‘transgenic foods raise numerous health safety questions’
- ‘Gene mutational damage in the liver can be assessed in the transgenic animal mutation assay.’
- ‘Also the genetic background in common laboratory and transgenic mice affects the phenotype.’
- ‘Tissues were harvested from five independent transgenic lines grown in vitro.’
- ‘Yet surely we should not be patenting whole life forms, such as transgenic mice or cotton plants?’
- ‘The development of transgenic mice has opened up new possibilities for mutagenicity testing in small animal models.’
1980s: from trans- ‘across’+ gene + -ic.