Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced.‘male transgenic mice’‘transgenic foods raise numerous health safety questions’
- ‘Gene mutational damage in the liver can be assessed in the transgenic animal mutation assay.’
- ‘Also the genetic background in common laboratory and transgenic mice affects the phenotype.’
- ‘Tissues were harvested from five independent transgenic lines grown in vitro.’
- ‘Yet surely we should not be patenting whole life forms, such as transgenic mice or cotton plants?’
- ‘The development of transgenic mice has opened up new possibilities for mutagenicity testing in small animal models.’
1980s: from trans- ‘across’+ gene + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.