One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced.‘male transgenic mice’‘transgenic foods raise numerous health safety questions’
- ‘Tissues were harvested from five independent transgenic lines grown in vitro.’
- ‘The development of transgenic mice has opened up new possibilities for mutagenicity testing in small animal models.’
- ‘Yet surely we should not be patenting whole life forms, such as transgenic mice or cotton plants?’
- ‘Also the genetic background in common laboratory and transgenic mice affects the phenotype.’
- ‘Gene mutational damage in the liver can be assessed in the transgenic animal mutation assay.’
1980s: from trans- ‘across’ + gene + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.