Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A state or condition in which a person's identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional ideas of male or female gender.
- ‘He was the first to raise the issue of transgenderism in Parliament in the 1990s.’
- ‘It's heartwarming, funny and packs a real punch about a subject that doesn't get enough attention: transgenderism.’
- ‘I hope that you will talk to others about what you have learned about transgenderism.’
- ‘He added: "I was quite troubled at school but my world just clicked after my teacher explained transgenderism to me."’
- ‘LGB focuses more on your sexuality, while transgenderism is about gender identity, which is fundamentally different from your sexual orientation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.