Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A protein of the beta globulin group which binds and transports iron in blood serum.
- ‘The transferrin receptor is a protein located in the plasma membrane that binds the protein transferrin.’
- ‘This blood test measures the amount of iron bound to transferrin, an iron-carrying protein in your bloodstream.’
- ‘Approximately 90% of vanadium in blood resides in plasma, primarily as vanadyl bound to transferrin and albumin.’
- ‘Iron, an essential requirement of bacteria, is tightly bound to glycoproteins such as transferrin and lactoferrin in the serum, making it unavailable for the bacteria.’
- ‘Serum lead, transferrin, haptoglobin, and ceruloplasmin levels were all found to be within normal limits.’
1940s: from trans- ‘across’ + Latin ferrum iron + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.