One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein of the beta globulin group which binds and transports iron in blood serum.
- ‘The transferrin receptor is a protein located in the plasma membrane that binds the protein transferrin.’
- ‘Serum lead, transferrin, haptoglobin, and ceruloplasmin levels were all found to be within normal limits.’
- ‘This blood test measures the amount of iron bound to transferrin, an iron-carrying protein in your bloodstream.’
- ‘Iron, an essential requirement of bacteria, is tightly bound to glycoproteins such as transferrin and lactoferrin in the serum, making it unavailable for the bacteria.’
- ‘Approximately 90% of vanadium in blood resides in plasma, primarily as vanadyl bound to transferrin and albumin.’
1940s: from trans- ‘across’ + Latin ferrum ‘iron’ + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.