Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A payment made or income received in which no goods or services are being paid for, such as a benefit payment or subsidy.
- ‘Perhaps because its population is larger than that of all of the other transfer payment receiving provinces combined.’
- ‘From April the Government is intending to transfer payment of state pensions directly to bank accounts.’
- ‘If the inequity is of concern, then a transfer payment could be made to compensate low-income households for their greater costs.’
- ‘The contributions to these systems do not constitute net savings, when they are used directly for transfer payment or when they serve as a source for government funding.’
- ‘It is possible for one party to request a transfer payment into their own pension arrangement over which they would have more control, such as deciding on the investments of the pension fund.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.