Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mathematical function relating the output or response of a system such as a filter circuit to the input or stimulus.
- ‘Once each node has calculated the activation level, the hidden node then transforms the scalar value into an output signal with the use of a transfer function.’
- ‘The operation of the golden PLL is defined by its transfer function, which has a high-pass characteristic whose corner frequency is defined by the data rate.’
- ‘Full characterization therefore requires four amplitudes and four phases that can be assembled into a 2 x 2 matrix known as the linear transfer function, or the Jones matrix.’
- ‘In addition to this, by Fourier transformation, system transfer function at different frequencies can be obtained instantaneously.’
- ‘In terms of linear systems theory, the point spread function and the modulation transfer function become invariant with respect to defocus.’
- ‘The modulation transfer function serves as another metric for thermal imagers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.