Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance released by antigen-sensitized lymphocytes and capable of transferring the response of delayed hypersensitivity to a non-sensitized cell or individual into which it is introduced.
- ‘Dr. Lawrence's discovery of transfer factor science has been hailed as ‘one of the most important medical breakthroughs of the past half century.’’
- ‘Single breath method was used to measure carbon monoxide transfer factor.’
- ‘Carbon monoxide transfer factor was measured by the single-breath method.’
- ‘The transfer factor is low but this is probably an artefact caused by an underestimate of the alveolar volume.’
- ‘Thirdly, important new parameters like split-function studies or transfer factor for carbon monoxide were not taken into account.’
- ‘Immune therapies (pentoxifyllin, intravenous immunoglobulin, transfer factor, and colostrum) benefit selected cases.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.