Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that converts variations in a physical quantity, such as pressure or brightness, into an electrical signal, or vice versa.
- ‘The orientation of the depressions depends on the type carrier for the transducer.’
- ‘At least one fluid device from a group consisting of a flow controller, a valve, a filter and a pressure transducer is provided.’
- ‘Sound, consisting of waves of varying air pressure, is converted to its electrical form by a transducer, such as a microphone.’
- ‘It is not uncommon for recordings from electrical transducers to contain noise at 60 Hz and multiples of 60 Hz.’
- ‘The CDA is a compound transducer created by cascading a Lorenz-force transducer and an elastic transducer.’
- ‘The present invention relates to energy efficient transducers and devices comprising multiple active areas on one or more electroactive polymers.’
- ‘The responsible device is a simple transducer that you probably well know - a microphone.’
- ‘The tube consists of several microcapillary tubes connected to external pressure transducers, which pass signals to a computer for real time display.’
- ‘By the present moment, we have made six transducers closed inside ‘tablets’ resembling little rounded batteries for a watch.’
- ‘The capacitive coupling between the different electrodes allows the position of the transducer to be determined.’
- ‘Angular transducers measure the deflection of the scanners.’
- ‘The transducer was cabled to a control and data-acquisition unit consisting of a computer and other electronic hardware.’
- ‘It uses airguns to generate low frequency sound and transducers to generate the medium and high frequency sections of the noise signature.’
- ‘The next two figures present data from the displacement transducer.’
- ‘Could these gene products represent upstream components in a common signal transduction pathway such as a receptor or signal transducers?’
- ‘These pressure transducers are connected with the dampers via a control unit which changes the position of the dampers in accordance with the airflow condition.’
- ‘With the ink jet recording head, the relationship between the amount and the speed of ejected ink droplets can be optimized in accordance with the size of areas of the electro-thermal transducers.’
- ‘The input transducer is the photo detector that detects the radiation emitted from the radiated substance.’
- ‘The transducer generates and receives high frequency sound waves that can't be heard by the human ear.’
- ‘Leaf elongation rate was calculated from daily increments in leaf length using linear voltage displacement transducers connected to a data logger.’
1920s: from Latin transducere lead across (from trans- across + ducere lead) + -er.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.