Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existence or experience beyond the normal or physical level.‘the possibility of spiritual transcendence in the modern world’
superiority, supremacy, predominance, pre-eminence, ascendancyView synonyms
- ‘Fundamentalists, on the other hand, have emphasized the transcendence of God.’
- ‘And now that we know all about them, there still remains the mystery of his transcendence.’
- ‘In science fiction there can be no inexplicable marvels, no transcendences, no devils or demons.’
- ‘Enough to raise themselves to the same level of transcendence.’
- ‘They are the inability to distinguish between transcendence in fact and transcendence in illusion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.