Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The transfer of an amino group from one molecule to another, especially from an amino acid to a keto acid.
- ‘The key organic acid, 2-oxoglutarate, is mainly derived from sugar respiration and amino acid transamination reactions.’
- ‘The earliest enzymatic functions are mostly linked to amino acid catabolism: deamination, transamination, and decarboxylation.’
- ‘Glutamate is also a principal amino donor to other amino acids in subsequent transamination reactions.’
- ‘Leucine, isoleucine, and valine are branched essential amino acids that are catabolized to corresponding keto acids through the process of transamination.’
- ‘Thereafter, most amino acids are generated by transamination reactions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.