One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wheel on a railway locomotive or other vehicle that is not given direct motive power.
- ‘Its pilot wheels and trailing wheels we used in the construction of the scale test car.’
- ‘The diameter of the coupled wheels was 2 ft 4 in, the leading and trailing wheels 1 ft 6 in diameter.’
- ‘When the trailing wheel negotiates the rise the load sharing again maintains equal loading on both wheels.’
- ‘A single trailing wheel not only becomes obstructed less, but can also be tilted out of a pothole.’
- ‘So we may have a 4-6 - 2, with four leading wheels, six coupled wheels, and two trailing wheels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.