One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An actress who specializes in tragic roles.
- ‘She was a glamorous loser, a musical comedy tragedienne, a mixture of frivolity and misfortune.’
- ‘Her skills as a tragedienne come forward in Rigoletto and even more so in La traviata, where she is an unforgettably poignant Violetta.’
- ‘She was regarded as a tragedienne and often compared to great actresses of the day.’
- ‘However, she was also a tragedienne not only on-screen, but, sadly, off-screen as well.’
- ‘In any genre where a happy ending is not only not guaranteed, but almost forbidden, one is likely to find a Tragedienne.’
Mid 19th century: from French tragédienne, feminine of tragédien.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.