Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action or activity of buying and selling goods and services.[as modifier] ‘trading profits leapt’
selling, vending, disposalView synonyms
- ‘The outlet, which also includes a service area, commenced trading more than a week ago and is enjoying a very busy trade.’
- ‘This would allow an individual to be prosecuted in a single count for the activity of fraudulent trading, although that activity may be made up of a number of otherwise discrete offences.’
- ‘More than 80 percent of its profits came from financial trading operations, dwarfing its earnings from pipelines and power plants.’
- ‘There is no doubt that the concentration on agricultural liberalization brought the key concerns of fair trade and equitable trading opportunities to the forefront.’
- ‘Was there evidence or did he make a statement about the extent of his motor trading activities apart from these five cars?’
- ‘While scrap trading is an old activity, the scrap industry is a product of industrial life in the last two centuries.’
- ‘Others envision the city becoming the next Dubai, or even greater: the center of commerce and trading for the Gulf Region, and perhaps the entire Middle East.’
- ‘The manufacturing business contributed 50.4 per cent to group sales, compensating for flat sales in its trading business.’
- ‘But the rapid growth in online trading of financial services products also has its dangers.’
- ‘There you can learn how to maximize your profits with online trading as well as setting up an online business.’
- ‘But it will not engage in high-risk speculative trading to make a profit on its own account.’
- ‘It is for this reason that practising insider stock trading is a crime.’
- ‘The problem is that too many rich countries preach free trade but practice protectionism, thus denying trading opportunities and markets to poor countries.’
- ‘It is the very dubious activity known as proprietary trading that permits the dealers to create the positions.’
- ‘None of them expressly authorised trading activities.’
- ‘Thus the action lies where there is a real possibility of damage to some business or trading activity.’
- ‘It said the involved parties may profit or avoid losses from such trading based on insider information.’
- ‘Enormous trading activities with transportation might affect the fragile and pristine environment in an adverse manner.’
- ‘The practice of trading and commercialisation continues in most parts of the country.’
- ‘They were traditionally denied land rights, and had thus developed trading as a niche activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.