One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount by which the value of a country's exports exceeds the cost of its imports.
- ‘Record world oil prices are bringing strong growth, a healthy trade surplus, higher wages, and even bigger pensions from fattened state coffers for some of the poorest Russians.’
- ‘When foreign countries had a trade surplus, they theoretically could have used the excess dollars and asked the U.S. to exchange them for gold.’
- ‘When a country has a large trade surplus, this generates an expansion in its monetary base.’
- ‘We have a trade surplus in services, we are a net exporter of services.’
- ‘The French state would always run a trade surplus.’
- ‘The news came as Japan reported a 40% rise in its trade surplus, despite pressure from the strengthening yen.’
- ‘We had a trade surplus in the great Depression for all the good that did us.’
- ‘The second choice is that the Federal Reserve creates a recession large enough to turn the trade deficit into a trade surplus.’
- ‘During this period of economic recovery, the Euroland trade surplus with the United States has risen, not fallen.’
- ‘Now Russia has a trade surplus of $60 billion a year and annual economic growth of 7%.’
- ‘The accumulated trade surplus stood at $4.89 billion, a 1.7-fold increase over the same period last year.’
- ‘Tensions have been increasing between a number of countries and China recently over its trade surplus, surging textile imports and problems with product piracy.’
- ‘Despite imports contracting more than exports, the island still posted a trade surplus of $360 million.’
- ‘The same goes for the labor supply and the trade deficit, that has changed from a trade surplus into a deficit, but is also not of a dangerous level.’
- ‘The United States will then be forced into a trade surplus as incomes fall far enough to reduce imports and wages fall far enough to make U.S. goods competitive.’
- ‘The problem is that although oil exports produce a spectacular trade surplus, the exchange rate soars.’
- ‘And the trade surplus narrowed because of a drop in May exports.’
- ‘The euro countries are running a significant trade surplus with the US.’
- ‘At EU level, exports to the CEE countries countries are higher than imports, which is an indication of the trade surplus that the EU has with the region.’
- ‘He said it would also eventually help contain the huge trade surplus as foreign producers export less to the United States.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.