One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A name that has the status of a trademark.
logo, emblem, sign, stamp, symbol, device, badge, crest, insignia, seal, coat of arms, shield, motif, hallmark, mark, figure, monogram, logotype, colophonView synonyms
- ‘He was 100% certain that he discussed the trade name with Mr Street and had no doubt whatsoever about this.’
- ‘Medications should be ordered by the generic name, not by the proprietary or trade name.’
- ‘He said: ‘The web address in our company name is an official trade name and trademark registered in both the UK and the EU.’’
- ‘The chemical, also known by the trade name Rithialate, is used in vaccine manufacturing as a preservative.’
- ‘Sucrolose, better known by its Splenda trade name, is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar.’
- ‘Methocarbamol, which is known by the trade name Robaxin, is a muscle relaxer often used during training.’
- ‘MyoZap is the trade name for a revolutionary new patented compound called Fraction C.’
- ‘Povidone-iodine contains no less than 9% and not more than 12% iodine, depending on the trade name.’
- ‘The new formulation, which will be marketed under the same trade name, can be chewed and swallowed, or swallowed whole.’
- ‘There are thousands of steels available today, each one characterized by a particular trade name or alloy composition.’
- ‘Sold under the trade name Dursban, the chemical is the most widely used household pesticide in the United States.’
- ‘In 1998, the Food and Drug Administration approved the vaccine under the trade name of RotaShield ®.’
- ‘Botox is the trade name for a highly purified, naturally occurring protein that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum.’
- ‘The same symbol might function as a trademark, a service mark and a trade name, depending on the context in which it is used.’
- ‘Currently present in more than 50 percent of all vaccines, it is known by the trade name Rithialate.’
2A name by which something is known in a particular trade or profession.
- ‘Each herbicide has a trade name (sometimes more than one), a common name, and a chemical name.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.