Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The surgical severing of nerve tracts especially in the medulla of the brain, typically to relieve intractable pain or mental illness, or in research.‘surgical tractotomy on the human spinal cord’count noun ‘a tractotomy was performed’
- ‘It seems that the complications associated with pulmonary tractotomies are considerably high, but the mortality of anatomic resections is prohibitive.’
- ‘A study of cognitive function in 23 patients undergoing subcaudate tractotomy found significant impairment of cognitive function 2 weeks post-op which had largely resolved after six months.’
- ‘They noted that facial pain and itch sensations are both abolished by trigeminal medullary tractotomy.’
- ‘Subcaudate tractotomy was developed and is primarily used in the United Kingdom.’
- ‘Stereotactic mesencephalic tractotomy constitutes a widely accepted procedure in treating unilateral head and neck cancer pain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.