One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steam or diesel-powered road vehicle used (especially formerly) for pulling very heavy loads.
- ‘But local industries saw the benefit of using a steam wagon, which was smaller and lighter than a traction engine towing a trailer.’
- ‘It was cut into four, and shifted by a traction engine owned by a local sawmiller.’
- ‘It was a good day out with a variety of attractions (e.g. flower tent, steam traction engines, livestock) and displays (showjumping, motorcycle stunt display).’
- ‘A huge boiler drawn on a traction engine passed through Skipton on its way to Slingsby's Mill in Gargrave.’
- ‘He had his own design for the bunkhouses which were towed to each job - the ‘stinkies’ as they are termed in the traction engine language.’
- ‘In Pickering, a classic car show on June 10 is cancelled but a traction engine rally in early August is still on.’
- ‘Afterwards, though, what we needed was a traction engine to shunt us all out the door and take us home.’
- ‘Mr Coles said that winter was the perfect time for repairs to be carried out on a traction engine, because during the summer, they are busy attending fairs and rallies.’
- ‘Now the firm whose steamrollers, traction engines, steam trams, trains and grass cutting equipment contributed to the city's industrial heritage has been recognised.’
- ‘He bought an old traction engine, a Burrell, which was the beginning of a fleet of engines.’
- ‘Everything from show engines to traction engines, steamrollers and steam tractors kept spectators intrigued.’
- ‘Thirteen teams will be operating thirteen historic threshing mills and a historic steam traction engine will drive each mill.’
- ‘At the front is a guide to the principle features of the traction engine, so you can become quite the expert at the next steam rally.’
- ‘Visitors will be able to see and take part in many activities, including steam traction engine displays and horse and tractor demonstrations.’
- ‘The church was carried from Essex to Yorkshire on a traction engine in 1905.’
- ‘The current UK exams, for instance, include a so-called ‘simple mechanical’ invention, which can be anything from a potato peeler to a traction engine.’
- ‘Using their mobile phones the drivers rang the fire service and told them of the devastation being wreaked as the traction engine chugged along.’
- ‘A collection of steam and traction engines, antique class cars, fair-ground organ etc. will also be centred at Bolger's yard while a large marquee is also to be erected.’
- ‘It was jacked off its foundations, lifted on to a large transporter with six wheels and pulled by two traction engines.’
- ‘Interesting brasses from traction engine rallies adorn one wall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.