One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
disquisition, essay, paper, work, piece of writing, exposition, discourse, dissertation, thesis, monograph, study, critiqueView synonyms
- ‘One tractate, ‘Aboth’ was added later to provide a genealogy and hence legitimacy for their oral tradition just as the Christians had already done for Jesus.’
- ‘Sometimes, however, he is stretching things a bit, transgressing the borders between a scientific tractate and a missionary polemic.’
- ‘Quite apart from his magnum opus, the Consolation of Philosophy, there were translations of Aristotle, and a number of short tractates on music, arithmetic and Christian theology.’
- ‘It does not contain any references to Jesus, though this is hardly surprising since it contains sixty-three tractates of religious law.’
- ‘Thomas's early discussion of the way theoretical sciences are distinguished from one another in the course of his exposition of the tractate of Boethius On the Trinity is masterful.’
Late 15th century: from Latin tractatus, from tractare ‘to handle’, frequentative of trahere ‘draw’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.