One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Railway track and associated equipment.
- ‘Members also plan to install trackwork / sidings, create a temporary visitor centre and provide volunteer accommodation as well as restoration of equipment and building of a storage shed for rolling stock.’
- ‘Two areas where British street railway practice was more advanced than the US were the construction and maintenance of trackwork and sensitivity toward neighbourhood aesthetics.’
- ‘The first fortnight will see closure of Slade Lane Junction to replace signalling equipment and trackwork, including switches and crossings.’
- ‘However, its haste in electrifying came at a price: trackwork was often inadequate for the heavier electric cars, and car horses were sold off at a loss.’
- ‘Life-expired signalling equipment and related trackwork, switches and crossings will be replaced.’
- 1.1 Work involved in constructing or maintaining railway track.
- ‘Trains are terminated here in times of disruption and trackwork.’
- ‘We had a pretty uneventful trip outbound to Geneva, although we were slowed somewhat by trackwork.’
- ‘When we were done there, we all moved back south of the crossing and began to surface the track in that area, which we had ballasted during the spring trackwork session last April.’
- ‘There appeared to be some trackwork going on, as there was a crane sitting next to the tracks.’
- ‘And last Saturday morning was train-less because of ongoing trackwork.’
- ‘All that will be left to do then will be the trackwork at stations which will be completed as part of the resignalling of the line.’
- ‘One of the many trackwork projects taking place on this particular weekend involved running all Uptown trains on the express track from Times Square to 96th Street.’
- ‘One of the biggest snags in our itinerary was the scheduled trackwork along the lines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.