One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A contagious bacterial infection of the eye, causing inflamed granulation on the inner surface of the lids.
The disease is caused by the chlamydial organism Chlamydia trichomatis
- ‘The biggest health problems are tuberculosis, venereal diseases, malaria, trachoma, typhoid fever, and dysentery.’
- ‘Other diseases include hepatitis, trachoma, and tuberculosis.’
- ‘I saw the Chlamydial eye disease trachoma in the poor of Glasgow and lymphogranuloma in soldiers from a military hospital STD clinic in 1940 before the cause was known.’
- ‘In Gambia the prevalence of the chlamydial disease trachoma in villages with frequent spraying to reduce flies is significantly lower than in villages without spraying.’
- ‘In addition, diarrhoea and diseases such as scabies, conjunctivitis, and trachoma are associated with poor hygiene and result from a breakdown in sanitation if water resources become depleted.’
Late 17th century: from Greek trakhōma ‘roughness’, from trakhus ‘rough’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.