Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dance step characterized by high-stepping movements, typically performed at protest gatherings or marches.
- ‘‘For us, the toyi-toyi was like a weapon of war,’ says one of the activists in the film.’
- ‘This, she and others attending the event said, was the first ever recorded toyi-toyi in Xhosa history.’
- ‘A senior staff member present during the toyi-toyi pleaded with police not to arrest the students, saying it would make the situation worse.’
- ‘There was no toyi-toyi for houses, shortage of medicines at clinics, insufficient learning materials for schools and student class boycotts.’
- ‘The documentary also captures the archetypal South African war dance, the toyi-toyi.’
verb[NO OBJECT]South african
Perform toyi-toyi dance steps.‘when the accused were brought back to court they were singing and toyi-toying’
- ‘When the Daily Dispatch arrived at the school yesterday afternoon, pupils were toyi-toying inside the school premises.’
- ‘This are the very guys who are toyi-toying for more money whilst the quality of their work leaves a lot to be desired.’
- ‘Does the art world not toyi-toyi, or find a suitable equivalent if it wants something badly enough?’
- ‘I understand why these guys are toyi-toying, but this is going to affect me greatly.’
- ‘In Port Elizabeth, close to 3000 teachers, nurses, police officers, prison warders and clerks marched on the city hall, carrying banners, toyi-toying and singing about having ‘empty stomachs’.’
Ndebele and Shona; probably introduced into South Africa by ANC exiles returning from military training in Zimbabwe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.