One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A poison of plant or animal origin, especially one produced by or derived from microorganisms and acting as an antigen in the body.
- ‘Detox diets are quite popular now, where you virtually fast for a week to get rid of all the toxins in your body.’
- ‘An infusion of the root, leaves and flowers encourages the elimination of toxins from the body.’
- ‘Sweet juicy fruits are excellent cleansers - they help flush toxins out of the body.’
- ‘The liver is often the first organ to indicate reactions to herbal remedies as this is the part of the body where toxins collect.’
- ‘I thought it might have just exploded and poisoned my poor body with it's toxins.’
- ‘Poison dart frogs produce toxins that can kill 150 adult humans and are used by tribal people to catch food.’
- ‘Any water that is left over leaves the body with the toxins, through sweat and urine.’
- ‘Doctors later realised Liam's appendix had burst, releasing dangerous toxins into his body.’
- ‘This may be a bacterial infection or following the ingestion of plant or chemical toxins.’
- ‘One way the body can eliminate toxins is via the skin through sweating.’
- ‘This is a powerful detoxifier which helps the body get rid of toxins and restores and protects the liver.’
- ‘It protects the body tissues from toxins from the atmosphere, food and other sources.’
- ‘In any of these diets increasing water intake is essential to help flush toxins out the body.’
- ‘Water is also essential to good health, feeling vital and to flush toxins from the body.’
- ‘The caterpillars harness the plant toxins and use them as a natural defence against predation.’
- ‘It is common to find traces of toxins in plants and foods that are healing and nutritious.’
- ‘Some types of bacteria release poisons called toxins while they are multiplying in food.’
- ‘If animals containing these toxins are eaten by humans, the result may be illness or even death.’
- ‘She informed me that she didn't mean for the whole four weeks, just for a few days to free my body of all the toxins.’
- ‘For carcinogens and most reproductive toxins, however, regulators assume no threshold.’
Late 19th century: from toxic + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.