One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Acute septicaemia in women, typically caused by bacterial infection from a retained tampon or IUD.
- ‘In recent years, tuberculosis, malaria, and cholera, which were in sharp decline, have returned, while new and frightening diseases like AIDS, Ebola virus, and toxic shock syndrome have appeared.’
- ‘High absorbency tampons left in the vagina for a long time have been associated with a dangerous illness called toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘They reflected on recent decisions in regard to asbestos, lung disease, toxic shock syndrome, Agent Orange, lead, tobacco, and fen-phen, the slimming pill.’
- ‘Staphylococcus aureus is the organism responsible for classic toxic shock syndrome and scalded skin syndrome.’
- ‘This relates to the fact that group A streptococci can cause necrotising fasciitis and associated toxic shock syndrome with profound discoloration and sloughing of the skin.’
- ‘Doing so can cause infection, irritation, or even toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘GAS infections can range from mild skin infection or strep throat to invasive, life-threatening conditions such as toxic shock syndrome and necrotizing fasciitis.’
- ‘Certain types of these bacteria are also responsible for distinctive rashes on the skin, including the rashes associated with scarlet fever and toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘Staphylococcal infection may also cause impetigo and toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘The overall mortality was 7 per cent and there were 18 cases of streptococcal toxic shock syndrome in which the mortality was 22 per cent.’
- ‘Use of a diaphragm is contraindicated in women with hypersensitivity to latex (unless the wide seal rim diaphragm is used) or a history of toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘I know that doctors recommend not leaving anything in your vagina for more than 8 hours, to avoid getting a dangerous infection like toxic shock syndrome, but I don't stick too closely to this.’
- ‘Not only have traditional tampons been linked to toxic shock syndrome, they are made of synthetic fibers, contain chemical fragrances and may harbor traces of dioxin, a by-product of chlorine bleach.’
- ‘Complementary data on the occurrence of necrotising fasciitis and toxic shock syndrome in these districts suggested a real increase in the occurrence of serious forms of GAS infection.’
- ‘And there was another outbreak I think maybe it was in the Minneapolis area of toxic shock syndrome not related to tampon use.’
- ‘A related infection, streptococcal toxic shock syndrome, or STSS, is caused by streptococcus bacteria.’
- ‘The research offers new approaches to antibiotic and vaccine design, and answers long-standing questions about the origins of two diseases: toxic shock syndrome and antibiotic-resistant infections.’
- ‘Staph bacteria can cause folliculitis, boils, scalded skin syndrome, impetigo, toxic shock syndrome, cellulitis, and other types of infections.’
- ‘Half were admitted to the hospital to get intravenous antibiotics, and a few developed life-threatening lung and heart infections or toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘You could get a serious infection, such as toxic shock syndrome, if you leave the diaphragm in your vagina for more than 24 hours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.