[mass noun] A synthetic amber waxy solid with an odour of chlorine and camphor, used as an insecticide. It is a chlorinated terpene.
- ‘The salmon also contains dioxins, toxaphene and dieldrin.’
- ‘Those include DDT, dieldrin, toxaphene, heptachlor, and alpha-chlordane.’
- ‘Organochlorine contaminants, including toxaphene, chlordane and metabolites, HCHs, HCB, dieldrin, and PCBs, were found in the opossum shrimp, Mysis relicta, from the great lakes.’
- ‘The Tulane team studied such pesticides and industrial chemicals as endosulfan, toxaphene and chlordane.’
- ‘It would appear that farmed salmon contains many times the tolerable levels of toxins such as PCBs, dioxins, toxaphene, dieldrin and DDT.’
1940s: from toxin + ( cam)phene, a related terpene.