One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meeting of the voters of a town for the transaction of public business.
- ‘I will be at a town meeting in Michigan that night with undecided voters.’
- ‘No one, including the local acting police chief who attended the town meeting, enforced the law against the illegal aliens.’
- ‘The issue will be discussed at the annual town meeting on Thursday, April 22.’
- ‘Chad and Anne had started a conversation about a recent town meeting.’
- ‘A few days later, however, at a town meeting before the City Council, all but one of 20 speakers were in favor of the plan.’
- ‘The Reston Connection has the initial account of the town meeting in question.’
- ‘But people who attended the annual town meeting on Thursday were against the idea of double-decker graves’
- ‘But you don't go to Iowa unless you go to a town meeting.’
- ‘I think first of the town meeting which includes all citizens.’
- ‘Shouldn't we be debating at a town meeting or something?’
- ‘I think it was a great idea to have a town meeting just to let residents know what was going on and that we weren't going to come in and tell the locals what we were going to do, we were getting their input and enthusiasm.’
- ‘The Bloomers are urging residents to attend the annual town meeting on Monday in the United Reformed Church, Calcutt Street.’
- ‘Earlier that evening, in front of a full town meeting, the mayor publicly referred to Bill as a second-class citizen.’
- ‘We're not with you tomorrow night because of the debate and a special town meeting.’
- ‘Last point, one of our young officers who did a tour in Afghanistan stood up in the town meeting on Tuesday and told the crowd in attendance what he and our troops did there and the good that was being accomplished.’
- ‘Assuming the test data are encouraging, the annual town meeting will debate and vote on whether to allocate some tax money for one or two wind turbines.’
- ‘Now, those fighting for strict enforcement of our broken southern border faced off with opponents at a tense town meeting.’
- ‘In June, 200 residents showed up at a heated town meeting in tiny Grafton township to challenge a trio of libertarian activists they feared were trying to conquer their community.’
- ‘A town council left to deal with the fallout over a controversial development were quizzed by residents at an annual town meeting.’
- ‘When he asked members of the public at the annual town meeting on Thursday whether they would be prepared to pay, about half said they would.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.