One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meeting of the voters of a town for the transaction of public business.
- ‘I think it was a great idea to have a town meeting just to let residents know what was going on and that we weren't going to come in and tell the locals what we were going to do, we were getting their input and enthusiasm.’
- ‘No one, including the local acting police chief who attended the town meeting, enforced the law against the illegal aliens.’
- ‘The Reston Connection has the initial account of the town meeting in question.’
- ‘I think first of the town meeting which includes all citizens.’
- ‘When he asked members of the public at the annual town meeting on Thursday whether they would be prepared to pay, about half said they would.’
- ‘But you don't go to Iowa unless you go to a town meeting.’
- ‘Chad and Anne had started a conversation about a recent town meeting.’
- ‘A few days later, however, at a town meeting before the City Council, all but one of 20 speakers were in favor of the plan.’
- ‘A town council left to deal with the fallout over a controversial development were quizzed by residents at an annual town meeting.’
- ‘The issue will be discussed at the annual town meeting on Thursday, April 22.’
- ‘In June, 200 residents showed up at a heated town meeting in tiny Grafton township to challenge a trio of libertarian activists they feared were trying to conquer their community.’
- ‘The Bloomers are urging residents to attend the annual town meeting on Monday in the United Reformed Church, Calcutt Street.’
- ‘But people who attended the annual town meeting on Thursday were against the idea of double-decker graves’
- ‘Assuming the test data are encouraging, the annual town meeting will debate and vote on whether to allocate some tax money for one or two wind turbines.’
- ‘Last point, one of our young officers who did a tour in Afghanistan stood up in the town meeting on Tuesday and told the crowd in attendance what he and our troops did there and the good that was being accomplished.’
- ‘We're not with you tomorrow night because of the debate and a special town meeting.’
- ‘Shouldn't we be debating at a town meeting or something?’
- ‘Earlier that evening, in front of a full town meeting, the mayor publicly referred to Bill as a second-class citizen.’
- ‘Now, those fighting for strict enforcement of our broken southern border faced off with opponents at a tense town meeting.’
- ‘I will be at a town meeting in Michigan that night with undecided voters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.