One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chairperson of a town council.
- ‘Still, there are some enjoyable moments, not least Warren Clarke's likeable turn as the town mayor.’
- ‘As a temporary solution the town mayor has agreed to employ two security guards at the hospital and supply 200 litres of diesel a month for the hospital generator until the power lines are restored.’
- ‘The planned six-month stint quickly turned into two years as Trevor built up a strong bond of friendship with everyone from under-privileged children to the town mayor.’
- ‘The local town mayor said the bullets were meant for her.’
- ‘This year's historic Colchester feast, hosted by the town mayor Chris Hall, has taken the theme Freedom of the Spirit.’
- ‘The following morning I recounted the episode to the town mayor, Jan Svoboda.’
- ‘But town mayor Gordon Jefferies admitted it was a delicate situation.’
- ‘Earlier in the year, the then town mayor Ken Poulton called for a night time curfew on under-16s.’
- ‘He will also be retiring from his role as official sword bearer for the town mayor.’
- ‘I wish I could become a town mayor to improve the circumstances.’
- ‘The town mayor also reminded the councilors that they would soon be going on the husting for the local elections.’
- ‘Former town mayor and tireless campaigner David Wright has resigned from Dunmow Town Council due to ill health.’
- ‘The news has, over the years, been great in uncovering scandal and evil in government, at all levels, from the town mayor to the presidents of the United States.’
- ‘Our town mayor was an extremely angry and upset woman when I spoke to her within hours of that convention ending, and she then stressed to me that she would now have to consider ‘all options’ open to her.’
- ‘He will be accompanied by Coun Susan Cooksley, the town mayor.’
- ‘Mrs Tearle, a former town mayor and ex-chairman of Braintree District Council, called it a slur on the fair name of Witham at a time when she and the council were trying to raise its profile.’
- ‘Deputy town mayor Cathy Bowyer said the licence should not have been granted to a pub in a residential area.’
- ‘Mr Walton and nine other town criers from across the north of England will be promoting Keighley businesses during the St George's celebrations to raise money for the town mayor's charities.’
- ‘Now town mayor Ken Poulton has threatened to call for a night-time curfew similar to that imposed in Teeside to keep youngsters off the streets.’
- ‘Following the publication of the results the town mayor said that he was very disappointed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.