One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- old-fashioned term for coal gas
- ‘In the 1960s, when breathing gas from domestic ovens was the most common method of committing suicide, the lowering of carbon monoxide levels in town gas led to a fall of a third in the overall suicide rate.’
- ‘The conversion of coal to coke made cheaper iron ore smelting possible and simultaneously produced town gas, used from the early 19th cent. for lighting.’
- ‘Twelve million people all over the country - mainly working class families - are not yet connected to town gas and rely on butane gas bottles for cooking and heating.’
- ‘There was a fairish stage, and boxes, pit and gallery, and as soon as practicable illumination was by town gas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.