A person employed to make public announcements in the streets or marketplace of a town.
messenger, courier, bearer of tidingsView synonyms
- ‘Yet over a four-year period, Watson was employed as a town crier, children's entertainer, and as a toastmaster.’
- ‘The Tartan Day celebrations began with a town crier walking down Sixth Avenue from 45th Street announcing the beginning of the parade.’
- ‘A British man is living out his American dream - by being the official town crier of Hollywood.’
- ‘The crier will also be expected to wear a traditional tricorn hat, a red cloak and to carry the town crier's bell at official functions.’
- ‘The town crier had just announced midnight a few minutes before.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.