Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person employed to make public announcements in the streets or marketplace of a town.→ crier
messenger, courier, bearer of tidingsView synonyms
- ‘The crier will also be expected to wear a traditional tricorn hat, a red cloak and to carry the town crier's bell at official functions.’
- ‘Yet over a four-year period, Watson was employed as a town crier, children's entertainer, and as a toastmaster.’
- ‘A British man is living out his American dream - by being the official town crier of Hollywood.’
- ‘The town crier had just announced midnight a few minutes before.’
- ‘The Tartan Day celebrations began with a town crier walking down Sixth Avenue from 45th Street announcing the beginning of the parade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.