Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person employed to make public announcements in the streets or marketplace of a town.
messenger, courier, bearer of tidingsView synonyms
- ‘The Tartan Day celebrations began with a town crier walking down Sixth Avenue from 45th Street announcing the beginning of the parade.’
- ‘The town crier had just announced midnight a few minutes before.’
- ‘The crier will also be expected to wear a traditional tricorn hat, a red cloak and to carry the town crier's bell at official functions.’
- ‘Yet over a four-year period, Watson was employed as a town crier, children's entertainer, and as a toastmaster.’
- ‘A British man is living out his American dream - by being the official town crier of Hollywood.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.