One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed to make public announcements in the streets or marketplace of a town.
messenger, courier, bearer of tidingsView synonyms
- ‘A British man is living out his American dream - by being the official town crier of Hollywood.’
- ‘The town crier had just announced midnight a few minutes before.’
- ‘The crier will also be expected to wear a traditional tricorn hat, a red cloak and to carry the town crier's bell at official functions.’
- ‘Yet over a four-year period, Watson was employed as a town crier, children's entertainer, and as a toastmaster.’
- ‘The Tartan Day celebrations began with a town crier walking down Sixth Avenue from 45th Street announcing the beginning of the parade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.