One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall modern building containing numerous floors of offices or flats.
- ‘They are undeniably poor but Sam ekes the best living he can in a white man's country and they all live together high up in Flat 131 in a tower block on a south London housing estate.’
- ‘He firmly rejected the residential tower block then in vogue and called on architecture to address social and urban issues.’
- ‘Amid the chaotic surroundings of another flat in the tower block I was told how her lifestyle descended into drugs and despair.’
- ‘One is a multi-million-pound tower block featuring flats, offices and restaurants in the heart of the city.’
- ‘As the first tower block to be built in central London after the war, New Zealand House served as a test case.’
- ‘‘They pulled up in the loading bay at the front of our office, and lined up along the walk of the tower block,’ she said.’
- ‘You'll have no problem spotting it across a crowded car park, because it stands up like a tower block on an estate of bungalows.’
- ‘By way of a little symbolic help, the location for their misspent youth and childhood dreams, a local tower block of derelict flats, is about to be razed to the ground.’
- ‘Residents of a tower block were left wondering whether their homes were due to be hit by a flood on a Biblical scale.’
- ‘I would not want to live on the first couple of floors of a tower block, the view is definitely a bonus.’
- ‘Consultants were told at a meeting last week that the tower block which houses most of its services is set to be demolished.’
- ‘Firefighters are warning of the risks of living without a smoke detector or leaving candles unattended following a fire which gutted a flat in a Blackpool tower block.’
- ‘It will replenish the site with a tower block of flats offices and shops including a new travel and tourist information centre.’
- ‘Residents in a Swindon tower block fear the council could be exposing them to deadly asbestos particles.’
- ‘There are around 120 flats in the tower block, with six flats on each floor.’
- ‘She now lived alone on the 10th floor of a tower block, and I always ended my visits to her going to the window to admire the magnificent view over the city.’
- ‘Elderly residents in a Bolton tower block are continually having to climb up to five flights of stairs after being marooned by a troublesome lift.’
- ‘The ninth floor apartment in a tower block in the north London suburb of Southgate was raided early on Monday.’
- ‘Now in this delightful fable, set in a European city on a sweltering June night, he shows that the 7th floor of a residential tower block can be a source of magic realism.’
- ‘We were visiting a mum and girl on the 15th floor of a tower block.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.