Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
With no addition or qualification; simply.‘he saw religion as an illusion, tout court’
- ‘First of all, as I have argued, while we deliberate we cannot discover which of our alternatives is possible tout court; we cannot simply try the doorknobs and see.’
- ‘Traditions of casuistry, or inter-generational equity, or equity tout court, or professional role, unite their adherents across the complex traditions which they may see as their primary traditions.’
- ‘It is true that first-order predicate logic is so constructed as to admit no such distinction, but that does not mean that there is no such distinction tout court.’
- ‘La Bohème is usually considered the most popular of Puccini's operatic hits, and it may even be, tout court, the most popular opera.’
- ‘Of course, this can only happen in the first place if she can be considered as property tout court; that is, if she can be considered intelligibly: as-wife, as-daughter, and so on up to as-person.’
- ‘‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name’ is not a redundant expression, as though ‘Father’ were now the name of God tout court.’
- ‘That is to say, Garrard makes an entirely illegitimate comparison between hostility to a body of people who cannot be accused of being oppressive, tout court, and hostility to a state which definitely can.’
- ‘The roots of post-structuralism and its unifying basis lie in a general opposition not to the philosophical tradition tout court but specifically to the Hegelian tradition.’
- ‘Perhaps the liberatory moment comes because you're not in thrall to the art object as such, but rather to the force of creativity tout court.’
- ‘The vulnerability that people in exile feel is far greater than the anxiety of not having an essential identity; their problem is a lack of identity tout court.’
- ‘To do that is to question the belief that what is delivered or at least promised under the aegis of the American state, on the American continent, can be neatly identified with human freedom, tout court.’
- ‘Our response to this argument is that not all Conceptual Art was generic-type art tout court, and that its reflection in painting is thus similarly non-generic.’
- ‘Instead, Esterhammer reads Romanticism as a watershed moment in the understanding of language tout court, with Literature advancing this broader project in important, though certainly no longer exclusive ways.’
- ‘Fine; but it should be kept in mind that dismissing biographical criticism is not the same thing as disapproving tout court of literary biography.’
- ‘A specific work is being referenced in this example, and here we slide from the repetition of style in all of its ambiguous guises to the repetition of particular motifs and entire compositional passages tout court.’
- ‘Historically, the recognition of a sharp difference between justified assertion and mere assertion tout court has been a force for liberation and progress, and against arbitrary power and illegitimate institutions.’
- ‘One might as well treat every person as a ‘team’ and let the notion of we-intentionality collapse into the notion of intention tout court.’
- ‘The tone of such commentators certainly suggests that they feel they are entitled to construct the argument in this way, and thus dismiss the antiwar Left tout court as a ‘moral failure’.’
- ‘There are commonalities in some respects, including this one: the sexual abuse of women and children, and the sexual use of animals both turn on (no pun intended) naked power, tout court.’
- ‘Its subject is Christian theology tout court, and its polemic springs from the currently fashionable ‘ideology of religious pluralism’ - what might be termed horror at strong opinions.’
French, literally ‘very short’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.