One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive Denoting a coin struck at Tours, which was one-fifth less in value than one coined at Paris.
- ‘No less impressive was the stabilization of the French currency, the livre tournois, which after 1726 was no longer subject to manipulation by the crown.’
- ‘And it so happens that at about the same time there was a coin in circulation called a ‘gros denier tournois‘which was worth 15 deniers.’
- ‘They became notably more costly: the French army cost about 16 million livres tournois in the 1620s and over 38 million after 1640.’
- ‘Despite some blood-curdling threats, the Mamluks chose to confirm the bargain made by Turanshah, mainly because of the enormous ransom of half a million pounds tournois.’
- ‘Louis forgoes the financial payment due him on condition that a window of the same value (100 livres tournois) be installed in the transept chapel of SteBarbe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.