One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjectiveScottish, Northern Irish
Very small.‘a toty wee room’
- ‘If you do it too fast, if your fingers just move and even it is just the totiest wee bit, its tail whished and it was away.’
- ‘They said it was coffee and then sold you a cup of water with just a toty wee splash of brown stuff.’
- ‘I'd always assumed that my country was a toty wee place with no political clout.’
- ‘I expected a big giant of a man and here he was just a wee toty man.’
- ‘She had a china face and dainty wee toty fingers.’
Early 19th century (in the noun sense ‘little child’): affectionate diminutive of tot.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.