One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person from the eastern states of Australia.‘a tothersider who, in his selfish hurry to make money, would sweat and drive his employees without mercy’
- ‘Her father was not a tothersider: he was born in Pinjarra, in the state's southwest.’
- ‘Every boat from the East dumped crowds of Tothersiders ashore at Fremantle.’
- ‘He was an unscrupulous Tothersider journalist who was taking mental notes of 'em all the time with an eye to a series of sketches at 30s. a column.’
- ‘The Tothersiders are cutting each others' throats.’
- ‘It was, after all, some 6500 kilometres closer to Europe than Sydney and Melbourne, and consequently its citizens remained much closer to Mother England than did 'tothersiders'.’
- ‘No doubt there would be a proposal that the t'othersider must show, before admission, that he was possessed of certain means, and would be prepared to expend them in this colony.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.