One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large bag used for carrying a number of items.
- ‘When shopping, take a tote bag or some string bags.’
- ‘I happened to find one nearby and was planning on spending the night there - after I loaded the cleanest of my dirty laundry into my hemp tote bag.’
- ‘He flung his tote bag over his shoulder and walked past my desk, before I even had a chance to stand up.’
- ‘So these days, what goes into the tote bag assumes even more importance.’
- ‘If children have extra-heavy loads, give them a tote bag to hand-carry some items or a book bag with built-in wheels which they can roll.’
- ‘A large shopping bag had ripped and she was trying to hold it together while carrying a tote bag and small suitcase.’
- ‘The tote bag also includes a water bottle, headphones and has easy-access pockets for documents such as boarding passes.’
- ‘She always carries a little backpack and a tote bag, which is always a mess of papers.’
- ‘Then she took a pouch from a canvas tote bag that hung with her dark wool cloak on a wooden peg near the door.’
- ‘Three years ago, while working in New York at different dental practices, including her own, Anderson saw a woman on the crosstown bus struggling with a hand bag, a tote bag, and a paper bag.’
- ‘You'd think the least he could do is give them a tote bag or something.’
- ‘Finally in fear I'd hurt myself or others, a friend sent her science fiction addicted younger sister over with a tote bag full of VHS tapes.’
- ‘Count me in as a fan of public radio - I'm even going to get the tote bag.’
- ‘I'm debating between a tote bag, a soft-sided leather satchel or a more traditional, hinged, hard leather briefcase.’
- ‘The dark clouds above me did not look good as I went down the street, my tote bag carrying enough food to last me for a day.’
- ‘If it offends the viewers who reliably turn up each week for costume drama, send them a new tote bag.’
- ‘So here I was waddling on my sore legs with a tote bag and cat carrier on one arm and a huge rolling suitcase being dragged behind me on the other arm.’
- ‘She grabbed her tote bag, pulled out a quilt, and unfolded it on the cushioned bench in front of us.’
- ‘He carries a tote bag containing his playbook and a spiral notebook and takes a seat in the second row.’
- ‘Victor nodded thoughtfully, face impassive, then shouldered his tote bag and bade me goodnight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.