Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The complete reflection of a light ray reaching an interface with a less dense medium when the angle of incidence exceeds the critical angle.
- ‘We adjusted the angles of incidence of the laser beam such that total internal reflection took place at the interface of the quartz slide and the sample solution.’
- ‘By surrounding a transparent fibre core with a second material that has a lower refractive index, light in the inner core is trapped by total internal reflection.’
- ‘The end of each fiber was polished at 40 deg to its longitudinal axis to produce total internal reflection of excitation light and collected fluorescence at this face.’
- ‘We used two optical techniques developed recently to shed light on the process taking place after the fusion event: the laser trapping of a small bead and the evanescent wave illumination with total internal reflection.’
- ‘The technique uses the unique polarizations of evanescent waves generated by total internal reflection to excite the dipole moment of individual fluorophores.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.