One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The complete reflection of a light ray reaching an interface with a less dense medium when the angle of incidence exceeds the critical angle.
- ‘We used two optical techniques developed recently to shed light on the process taking place after the fusion event: the laser trapping of a small bead and the evanescent wave illumination with total internal reflection.’
- ‘By surrounding a transparent fibre core with a second material that has a lower refractive index, light in the inner core is trapped by total internal reflection.’
- ‘The technique uses the unique polarizations of evanescent waves generated by total internal reflection to excite the dipole moment of individual fluorophores.’
- ‘We adjusted the angles of incidence of the laser beam such that total internal reflection took place at the interface of the quartz slide and the sample solution.’
- ‘The end of each fiber was polished at 40 deg to its longitudinal axis to produce total internal reflection of excitation light and collected fluorescence at this face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.