Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The complete reflection of a light ray reaching an interface with a less dense medium when the angle of incidence exceeds the critical angle.
- ‘The end of each fiber was polished at 40 deg to its longitudinal axis to produce total internal reflection of excitation light and collected fluorescence at this face.’
- ‘The technique uses the unique polarizations of evanescent waves generated by total internal reflection to excite the dipole moment of individual fluorophores.’
- ‘We adjusted the angles of incidence of the laser beam such that total internal reflection took place at the interface of the quartz slide and the sample solution.’
- ‘By surrounding a transparent fibre core with a second material that has a lower refractive index, light in the inner core is trapped by total internal reflection.’
- ‘We used two optical techniques developed recently to shed light on the process taking place after the fusion event: the laser trapping of a small bead and the evanescent wave illumination with total internal reflection.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.