One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system according to which labourers, especially those in vineyards, are paid part of their wages in wine.
- ‘Mbeki, of course, had a very good point: a certain article about the dop system made a stir in the wine industry last year, after it was published in a top US magazine.’
- ‘Attention should be given to screening and motivational interviewing at primary healthcare centres, and enforcing existing legislation, for example, around public drunkenness and the dop system.’
- ‘Incidences involving the use of the tot system, whereby workers either receive part of their wages in alcohol or are given alcohol as an ‘incentive’ to work harder, were also reported to the Commission.’
- ‘It is widely believed that this ‘tot system’ contributed significantly to the high rate of alcoholism in farming districts.’
- ‘Even after the end of white-minority rule, South African vineyards were infamous for inhuman labour conditions including the notorious ‘dop system’ in which alcoholism was promoted among workers who were given wine in lieu of pay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.