Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tortoiseshell cat.‘I currently have two torties and a calico as foster cats’
- ‘My vet takes no guff from snotty torties.’
- ‘We just thought it was because she's a tortie and therefore special.’
- ‘The oldest is another tiny, shy tortie called Jess. She's a true lap cat and loves a fuss.’
- ‘I have a tortie named Pepper.’
- ‘If the mating was successful, we will be expecting some lovely babies in this litter, quite possibly torties, tortie tabbies and solids.’
1940s: diminutive of tortoiseshell.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.