Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pendulum that rotates rather than swings.
- ‘The tiltmeter is a torsion pendulum having some similarities to the torsion-gravity pendulum, however it is designed to operate away from the double well of the latter.’
- ‘This will result in an increase in the oscillation frequency of the torsion pendulum.’
- ‘The torsion pendulum has been installed in the ‘Eotwash’ rotating apparatus.’
- ‘The authors relate appearing the peculiar anomalies in the torsion pendulums readings with a microseismic anisotropy.’
- ‘The second are torsion pendulums, which work by hanging a bar that has weights at each end from a wire.’
- ‘Most of these studies have been performed using paraconical pendulums, torsion pendulums or spring gravimeters.’
- ‘The Position of masses on rods can be varied to change the rotational inertia of a torsion pendulum.’
- ‘Thus increased gravity and the inertial force resulted in the total force perturbation seen by the torsion pendulum.’
- ‘Two torsion pendulums are constructed of identical wires except that one wire is twice as long as the other, as shown.’
- ‘Interestingly, the sharpest bounds on Lorentz violation for the electron do not come from measurements of atomic transitions, but from experiments with a spin-polarized torsion pendulum.’
- ‘His quartz-fiber torsion pendulum carried two of the spheres, while allowing frictionless movement, with the earth's attraction neutralized.’
- ‘Additionally, the effects of damping and driving were explored using the chaotic and torsion pendulums.’
- ‘We present a forced torsion pendulum designed to measure the dynamic moduli of granular media.’
- ‘The torsion pendulum consists of a brass disk suspended at the center from a steel wire.’
- ‘The pendulum went back; the torsion pendulums are saved.’
- ‘Zero the torsion pendulum before putting charge on the balls.’
- ‘In practical operation of such clocks, however, it has been found that if the torsion pendulum is given too vigorous a manual impulse, this spiral spring may be damaged.’
- ‘The change in the period of a torsion pendulum is observed as its weight is changed.’
- ‘Gravity plays no role in the oscillation of torsion pendulums.’
- ‘In related experiments performed with torsion pendulums, a variation in the oscillation period during the onset of the eclipse was observed, while other groups did not confirm this behaviour [4,5, 6].’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.