One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of tachycardia in which the electrical pulse in the heart undergoes a cyclical variation in strength, giving a characteristic electrocardiogram resembling a twisted fringe of spikes.
- ‘In addition, blockers of PKA and CaMKII have been shown to eliminate EADs and torsade de pointes in ventricular myocytes isolated from rabbits.’
- ‘Many antipsychotic drugs can prolong the QT interval, and many have been linked to cases of torsade de pointes.’
- ‘Unlike methadone, LAAM was found in post-marketing treatment to be associated with prolonged QTc interval and torsade de pointes, thus relegating this therapy as second-line opiate replacement therapy.’
- ‘Spontaneous torsade de pointes was suppressed, and the vulnerable window during which TdP-induction occurs was also reduced in both models.’
- ‘These changes may result in cardiac arrhythmias, such as torsade de pointes, atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, and ventricular tachycardia.’
- ‘Patients who experience dizziness, palpitations, or syncope while taking ziprasidone therapy should be evaluated further for the potential occurrence of torsade de pointes.’
- ‘Certain psychotropic medications and somatic medications can increase the risk of lethal torsade de pointes through a mechanism of blocking cardiac conduction channels.’
- ‘In one case, the mutation led to acquired (drug-induced) torsade de pointes and ventricular fibrillation.’
- ‘Such prolongation increases the risk of torsade de pointes, a ventricular tachycardia-fibrillation with a characteristic electrocardiogram presentation.’
- ‘Although class III antiarrhythmic agents can suppress ventricular arrhythmias, they are also associated with torsade de pointes.’
- ‘IV magnesium sulfate can be used to control torsade de pointes or a prolonged QT interval: 2 g of magnesium sulfate IV over 5 to 10 minutes depending on acuity.’
1960s: French, literally ‘twist of spikes’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.