Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An event during which a ceremonial torch is carried on a designated route by a succession of torchbearers.‘the Olympic flame will travel to Britain for a 70-day torch relay covering 8,000 miles’
- ‘A torch relay brought it to Athens, where it burned for two weeks.’
- ‘The torch relay, introduced in 1936, has become a colossal undertaking.’
- ‘Four years ago when the Olympics were held in Australia, I was involved in the torch relay.’
- ‘In four months' time, the 'sacred' Olympic flame will be kindled in Greece, ready to begin its journey to Australia for the torch relay.’
- ‘On Friday a full dress rehearsal of the torch relay was enacted for 80 miles between Leicester and Peterborough.’
- ‘Unlike the main Olympic torch relay, which began its international leg this week, the Paralympic relay is restricted to Attica, the province around Athens.’
- ‘I have to say that Michael deserves credit for that whole wonderful scene, that last lap of the torch relay.’
- ‘Events have already been planned around the 2002 torch relay that will kick off Dec. 4 in Atlanta and wind up in Salt Lake City on Feb. 8, 2002.’
- ‘The Olympic torch relay from Olympia in Greece to Sydney in Australia was the largest and longest since the first torch relay was organised for the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.’
- ‘But it looks like the GAA will be the biggest winners when the Olympic torch relay arrives in Dublin on June 6.’
- ‘The group of Scotland Yard police officers charged with protecting the London 2012 Olympic torch relay are be given counselling as they travel around the country, it has emerged.’
- ‘The torch relay, involving police officers, firefighters, security guards and other law enforcement professionals from around the world as well as Special Olympics athletes, has been one of the features of these games since 1981.’
- ‘A torch relay was held to open the event.’
- ‘Organisers estimate that nine million people have turned out to see the torch relay since it started on 18 May.’
- ‘The relay, which is the Commonwealth Games' equivalent of the Olympic torch relay, will be a double celebration.’
- ‘The Olympic torch relay will cross Sofia on July 7.’
- ‘Sir Roger said: "I am conscious that it is a great honour to be asked to start the Olympic torch relay."’
- ‘The actual torch relay will start from Land's End in Cornwall next month after the arrival of the Olympic flame in the UK on May 18.’
- ‘Not only was hosting the 1956 games an event itself, but thousands of people were chosen to run the torch relay for the Olympics.’
- ‘The idea of a worldwide torch relay has been so successful this year, the IOC is considering making it standard operating procedure to take it through all six continents and through all the cities that previously hosted a Summer Olympics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.