Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make a row of continuous stitches on the top or right side of a garment or other article as a decorative feature.‘topstitch around the cuff’[with object] ‘topstitch the scallops near the edge’‘decorative topstitching emphasizes the lines of the blazer’
- ‘Finger-press and topstitch as much as possible to make the seams lie flat.’
- ‘A key trend is tucking the pant in the boot to create a long lean look, so it is a must to show off boots that are embossed, repousséed and topstitched.’
- ‘Place trims under the band opening end and topstitch in place before joining the remaining pillowcase seams.’
- ‘Serge the edge with a 3-thread overlock stitch, fold the edge over, then topstitch.’
- ‘For the girls, the colours are subtle with rainbow blocks, patchwork, topstitching, embroidery and prints in a variety of style.’
- ‘For a denim bag, press the seam allowances to one side and topstitch near the seam, catching the seam allowances underneath.’
- ‘These needles are an especially good choice for heirloom sewing and when perfectly straight stitching is desired - such as for topstitching or making pintucks.’
- ‘Lap a pocket flap over the fringe seam allowance and topstitch in place.’
- ‘Press the seam allowances open and topstitch with a long straight stitch on both sides of the seam, being careful not to stretch the fabric while stitching.’
- ‘Now topstitch about 1 3/4 ‘from the edge of the fold.’’
- ‘Turn up the hem 1 1/2 ‘and topstitch with a twin needle.’’
- ‘At the neckline edge, fold 3/8 ‘to the wrong side and, on a conventional sewing machine, topstitch the neckline.’’
- ‘To mimic a ready-to-wear coverstitch, use a contrasting texturized nylon in the bobbin and topstitch with a double needle on the garment wrong side.’
- ‘The bag is fully interfaced, reinforced, topstitched, and lined with loud Alexander Henry deco-style printed cotton.’
- ‘Enclose the raw edges of all three curtain layers in the seam allowances at the tape lower edge and topstitch according to the manufacturer's instructions, turning in the raw edges at the unfinished tape end.’
- ‘From the garment right side, topstitch the left-hand side of the zipper (the overlap) starting at the lower end.’
- ‘Its flat edge was created by topstitching around it.’
- ‘Using a long stitch, topstitch 1/8 ‘from each side of the side seam, stitching across the seam at the slit upper edge.’’
- ‘Be sure that you're happy with all construction stitching and pressing before you begin topstitching.’
- ‘Steam-press the sections in place, then topstitch 5/8 ‘from the decorative edge.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.