One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fast forward spinning motion imparted to a ball when throwing or hitting it, often resulting in a curved path or a strong forward motion on rebounding.
- ‘Isn't it impossible to create topspin and get a ball airborne?’
- ‘You can put backspin, topspin, sidespin, all the spin you can put!’
- ‘When you do it right, the sensation is like hitting a topspin Ping-Pong shot with your left hand.’
- ‘This topspin caused the mallet to drive the ball downward into the ground, thus significantly increasing the force generated by the forearm flexors.’
- ‘There's backspin, volleys, drop-shots, lobs and, of course, topspin - to recreate that element of surprise.’
- ‘The topspin on a curveball pushes the ball down.’
- ‘This supposed injustice is another piece of classic El Tel topspin.’
- ‘It will pop up, jump over the rough with topspin and roll to the hole.’
- ‘Well most kids I know are better adjusted than that, and know very well that spending five hours a day practising topspin won't bring them happiness and fulfilment - whereas an hour a week followed by a can of fizzy pop might be quite fun.’
- ‘Rebecca went to retrieve the ball, which I had hit hard, with tons of topspin, into her left corner.’
- ‘And it held the ball on the strings longer, allowing athletes to impart greater topspin on the ball than they would with a normal topspin stroke.’
- ‘The ferocious topspin he used achieved depth while keeping a much wider margin for error than a flat stroke.’
- ‘He does not just play heavy topspin, he is very versatile.’
- ‘When an opponent comes to the net, he likes to hit a dipping topspin shot, which forces the other guy to volley, rather than trying for an outrageous angle.’
- ‘The topspin seems to be preventing lift that gets the ball over the infielders and outfielders.’
- ‘Once you have all that down, you can still learn how to react to the wind, and whether to use topspin, backspin, or sidespin.’
- ‘To me, feel in action is a tennis player sizing up a passing shot and in a split-second choosing either to break off a sharp topspin angler or completely fool his opponent with a soft, carefully placed lob.’
- ‘Add to that a dash of agility, some heavy topspin, touch, and a dollop of intelligence and there you have it: the most complete player to emerge from Spain in decades.’
- ‘Watch dated film of players pre-Laver, and the game seems so effete, but he brought in power and the use of topspin with a supreme combination of force and finesse.’
- ‘At the same time, I wanted her right forearm to roll over as if she were hitting a forehand topspin shot in tennis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.