Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a woman) having the breasts uncovered.‘a topless dancer’
- ‘You see the topless girls and you think it's great, but the sand isn't too nice.’
- ‘It had murals that dated back to the late 50s depicting native chiefs and topless maidens.’
- ‘On the wall of the bar we were drinking in tonight there was a picture from the 40s or 50s of a topless woman, wearing a ship on her head.’
- ‘The Communist Party countered by hiring topless women to hand out their campaign literature.’
- ‘On my way back I saw the cook watching a TV show in what I guess was his native language that had topless women.’
- ‘My shoelaces got shredded, a bottle of Fanta exploded over my hair, a topless woman almost fell on Rhi's head.’
- ‘Their place is R-rated outings with plenty of hard-hitting stuff and the occasional topless woman.’
- ‘She is topless and obviously not enjoying herself.’
- ‘Rows of tanned muscles, tight speedos, topless girls and G-strings adorned the towels.’
- ‘After some scenes of topless women and some meanderings by the annoying characters, the mayhem starts.’
- ‘His partner is some mustached American pretty boy who plays tennis with topless women.’
- ‘I squeaked as we took a step onto the porch just as a group of topless girls ran by.’
- ‘Some are managed by gangsters and not run properly - they just like having topless girls around them.’
- ‘Will a dozen topless women beating on drums be enough to bring her back?’
- ‘And frankly, all topless girls are welcome, but you obviously need a lot more attention than anybody else.’
- ‘Finally I got rid of them too and just have some topless ladies in thongs stand around by the pool all day long.’
- ‘The tipping of a topless waitress has little to do with the drink she has brought to the table.’
- ‘Of the hundreds of windows that flash by, one contains a photo of a topless woman.’
- ‘But the pub does not need any special licence to employ topless women to work behind the bar.’
- ‘He noticed that her arms were bare and the tank straps were so thin, for a second he had the ludicrous impression that she was topless.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.