One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sentence that expresses the main idea of the paragraph in which it occurs.
- ‘Once categories are established, the topic sentences can be generated, and so on.’
- ‘An AP story uses a disjunction of relevance in a slightly different way, to weaken a topic sentence.’
- ‘Why are topic sentences important to paragraphs and essays?’
- ‘Make sure to follow any instructions that your teacher might have given you such as the specific size of the display and any items, such as a topic sentence or results, that must be included.’
- ‘Even when I write a scene for a novel, I sometimes subconsciously begin a paragraph with a topic sentence - a perfect metaphor for science, but nearly fatal for art.’
- ‘Can you identify a clear topic sentence that acts as the paragraph's thesis statement?’
- ‘And so the story goes, on and on, a catalogue of mutually exclusive and contradictory topic sentences about a pseudo-mythical girlfriend.’
- ‘What children need most from parents are not rules of grammar or how to write a topic sentence for a school essay, but simple encouragement to write and write often.’
- ‘After your explanation in class, I now know that I need to do some revision on my topic sentences so that I clearly explain that one paragraph is about men and the other is about women.’
- ‘I would have liked to see more topic sentences and summary tables and fewer lists.’
- ‘This logical pattern is deductive and is typically opened by a topic sentence in each paragraph (which are used to separate ideas), followed by supporting statements, helping to develop the main idea and to present related sub-topics.’
- ‘I read the above essay and just see a bunch of topic sentences strewn haphazardly about, totally devoid of any supporting sentences.’
- ‘For example, I wrote to a technical writing student on a cover letter for a resume, ‘Why might explaining the significance of your work experience here help support your topic sentence and increase your credibility?’’
- ‘And as he explains persuasively, intelligent skimming is a complex skill, not at all just a matter of looking at topic sentences or otherwise dipping randomly into a passing stream of text.’
- ‘As a group, the class evaluated each topic sentence to define qualities of a good topic sentence, and possible strategies for writing them.’
- ‘So, a typical first-year student paper can look pretty smooth - an introduction and conclusion, paragraphs with topic sentences, minimal surface errors - and yet after four or five pages manages to spell out very little.’
- ‘I demand topic sentences in every paragraph these days, for one.’
- ‘I aggregate their topic sentences, then return with SurfSaver to harvest their work.’
- ‘We were to underline the thesis in the first paragraph and put brackets around the topic sentence of each body paragraph.’
- ‘Central ideas can be identified by the repetition of words or phrases, especially as section titles, displayed quotations, graphics, or topic sentences of paragraphs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.