One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1short for sola topi
- ‘The simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.’
- ‘So mistakenly they went and bought me armfuls of tropical kit: solar topees, boots to keep mosquitoes out at night, riding britches, God knows what.’
- ‘Slightly apart stand a line of khaki-clad men, ancients with grizzled beards and yellow, rheumy eyes, dressed in tattered uniforms and battered solar topis.’
- ‘The usual literary suspects trailed their solar topees and bar chits through here, starting with Joseph Conrad in 1887, the year of its opening.’
- ‘That means that when the guys in solar topees go home newly independent countries have to choose between charismatic and bureaucratic rule.’
- ‘All his work in recruiting locals who still sport solar topees and spill their first G & T of the day in a loyal toast to the Queen Empress will unravel.’
- ‘Donaldson, wearing a topee, a black T-shirt and a pair of three quarter pants, together with Murray and James, stood calmly before John as she read the charges against them.’
- ‘The British infantry adopted the spiked, cloth-covered cork helmet in 1878 and covered it in khaki drill cloth for wear in hot climates - creating the first of the solar topis.’
- 1.1Indian A hat or cap.‘her goal was to knit Masroor a woollen topi before the winter set in’
- ‘Forster wears a kurta and topi with a jaunty ease overlaid by slight self-consciousness; there is no air of fancy dress, though he retains a certain Englishness about the legs.’
- ‘Sporting a white flowing beard, clad in traditional achkan and topi, he walked into my house.’
- ‘But what caught my attention was a roadside tailor stitching Gandhi topis which most of the gents wear here for playing Holi.’
- ‘Our cooks are even wearing their traditional gear - for instance, a panche and a Gandhi topi,’ said the chief executive officer of Nammura Hotel.’
- ‘Now, there are Banjara women begging, wizened old men in white dhotis and Gandhi topis turned a dirty brown, children who ask for alms with the clear diffidence of newcomers to the street.’
- ‘Pictures in the media always show a burqa clad woman or a man with a topi - these are the images, which the media perpetuates.’
- ‘Your efficiency in tearing the Nation apart is commendable, you, with your white topis and white kurtas and white beards and black hearts.’
- ‘One textbook defined communal harmony with three schoolboys, Ram, Rahim and Robert - Hindu, Muslim and Christian - distinguished by their turban, topi and hat respectively!’
- ‘Kurtas, lachas, turbans, topis, and bags in bright colours stormed the ramp.’
- ‘Clad in a white kurta-pyjama and a Gandhi topi, he brags about his contribution to the 10-lakh voters in the constituency.’
- ‘From Shivaji's ‘pagh’ to Lokmanya Tilak's head-gear to Brahman and Parsi topi, Awantilal says the ‘pagri’ is more than just a apparel.’
- ‘Wearing the Khan dress of kurta-pyjama and the Kashmiri suzandar topi, the group enjoyed every bit of their stay at the village.’
From Hindi ṭopī ‘hat’.
A large African antelope related to the hartebeests, with a pattern of bold black patches on a reddish coat, and thick ridged horns.
- ‘For the six grazing species with precocial young (wildebeest, topi, kongoni, warthog, buffalo, zebra), Fig 3. shows the frequency distribution of births.’
- ‘Add up all the lions, elephants, warthogs, giraffes, gazelles, zebras, impalas, topis and hyenas that live on these plains and they fail to outnumber the gnus.’
- ‘It is closely related to topi and wildebeest, both of which show extreme birth synchrony.’
- ‘Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.’
- ‘Wildebeest, topi, warthog, and Grant's gazelle births differed from all predicted distributions.’
- ‘Male topi, Damaliscus lunatus, defend core areas within large home ranges at low population densities and wooded habitat, but they form leks at high population densities in open grasslands.’
- ‘In this study on lek-breeding topi antelopes, I investigate whether female mating preferences have consequences for male investment in harassment and whether harassing males are more likely to succeed in mating.’
- ‘Although rich with game the crater has no giraffe, impala or topi.’
- ‘Thus, at one extreme there is a group of species that had high Kolmogorov-Smirnov values and that differed from all predicted distributions by having short, synchronized seasons (wildebeest, topi, warthog, and Grant's gazelle).’
Late 19th century: from Mende.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.