One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A procedure designed to seal a leaking oil well, whereby large amounts of a material heavier than the oil, e.g. mud, are pumped into the affected well.
- ‘If BP's top kill method to plug the oil leak doesn't work, we're looking at what other options might be available.’
- ‘The pipes were initially installed several weeks ago for the "top kill" procedure, which was unsuccessful.’
- ‘BP is focusing on its top kill strategy now.’
- ‘This weekend, the company is preparing to try a top kill where they'll pump heavy drilling fluids into the well and try to seal it with cement.’
- ‘I'm told that information related to top kill is now considered stock-market sensitive.’
- ‘BP also was considering installing a 'top kill device, which would send a heavy liquid into the well to reduce the flow of leaking oil.’
- ‘The dome procedure began two days after a maneuver known as a top kill was aborted late Saturday, when officials were unable to stanch the flow of oil with heavy drilling mud and other materials.’
- ‘Unlike the top kill procedure, which BP attempted in May, the Macondo well is now capped, albeit only temporarily, so is no longer flowing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.