Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A procedure designed to seal a leaking oil well, whereby large amounts of a material heavier than the oil, e.g. mud, are pumped into the affected well.
- ‘The pipes were initially installed several weeks ago for the "top kill" procedure, which was unsuccessful.’
- ‘If BP's top kill method to plug the oil leak doesn't work, we're looking at what other options might be available.’
- ‘This weekend, the company is preparing to try a top kill where they'll pump heavy drilling fluids into the well and try to seal it with cement.’
- ‘Unlike the top kill procedure, which BP attempted in May, the Macondo well is now capped, albeit only temporarily, so is no longer flowing.’
- ‘BP also was considering installing a 'top kill device, which would send a heavy liquid into the well to reduce the flow of leaking oil.’
- ‘I'm told that information related to top kill is now considered stock-market sensitive.’
- ‘The dome procedure began two days after a maneuver known as a top kill was aborted late Saturday, when officials were unable to stanch the flow of oil with heavy drilling mud and other materials.’
- ‘BP is focusing on its top kill strategy now.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.