Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An application of manure or fertilizer to the surface layer of soil or a lawn.‘he gave most of the plot another top dressing last month’‘rake or hoe in a top dressing of fertilizer’figurative ‘he put a top dressing of grandeur on his career’
- ‘Courses have been overseeding with winter rye, aerifying and top dressing greens, and preparing 2002 maintenance budgets.’
- ‘Some sites were completely excavated and refilled with fresh compost and soil; others receive top dressing with 2 feet of compost.’
- ‘The compost can be used as mulch around plants, as a top dressing over your lawn which can fertilise the soil, or as a soil improver in vegetable or flower beds.’
- ‘From now until July 20 he will keep it aerated, fed and watered, give it a top dressing and keep it mowed, usually to a length of 50 mm.’
- ‘The work in question involved stripping the pitch using a Koro machine and draining off the surface water before seeding, top dressing and fertilising.’
- ‘The operation will involve levelling, grading, top dressing and seeding the pitches but, as was done at Nuttall Park in Ramsbottom last year, a specialist Koro Topmaker machine will be used on one of the pitches.’
- ‘I also gave the potted plants (rosemary, chives, oregano and garlic) a bit more compost and a top dressing of bark chips to smarten them up, keep down the weeds and help with water retention.’
- ‘Good compost is a must for every garden, and all of your plants will benefit from a good top dressing with this rich, organic material.’
- ‘Sligo County Council has completed the top dressing on Teeling Street after all the man-holes have been filled in and all the underground work now completed.’
- ‘A heavy top dressing to improve levels was put in place and the area rolled to a fine finish.’
- ‘Then walk up and down the lawn pulling the device and smoothing out the mounds while top dressing the lawn at the same time.’
- ‘In the spring, his crew will be back on the fairways aerating, top dressing and fertilizing.’
- ‘Sligo County Council have completed the top dressing on Teeling Street after all the manholes have been filled in and all the underground work now completed.’
- ‘Due to the good nitrogen-fixation, top dressing is normally not required.’
- ‘The next project was the development of an air strip and aerial top dressing to increase the area of productive land.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.