One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take (part of a budget or fund) and allocate it to finance a specific project, service, etc.
- ‘Trauma and other emergency services like cardiac and stroke services should be top sliced.’
- ‘The campaign for top slicing the licence fee to give funds to other suppliers of public service programmes is being revived.’
- ‘Special factor funding top slices the materials fund before general distribution.’
- ‘In certain circumstances additional tax relief is available by way of top slicing relief.’
- ‘And they top slice the money from the education budget so there's less to spend on real education.’
- ‘Student-based policies might be those in which a relatively high proportion of total government funding for higher education—perhaps 10 percent or more—is top sliced for student aid.’
- ‘Lyons, responding to the publication of Lord Carter's Digital Britain report today, reiterated that he opposes any move to "top-slice" the licence for purposes beyond the BBC.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.